So things were go, go, going during Christmas week.
I celebrated Christmas a little early with my friends. We all gathered at Georgiffer's house (Jen and George are the most recent addition to my handful of important peeps) and enjoyed a very nice dinner. I gave my first attempt at Deviled Eggs and according to Phred, they were pretty awesome; That's saying alot considering that Phred's the only person that's ever made deviled eggs that I'm willing to have more than one of. I guess I can add my own to that list because he wasn't lying... they were pretty damn good. Thanks, John, for the help! Gifts were opened and everyong seemed very happy with theirs. We stayed up late and crashed once the liqour took over. The next morning we went to continue our second Christmas event: Dinner with my other Mom, Dad and Granny. We went to a restaurant called Porta Bello Market and wow! I had the Blackened Tenderloin with bowtie pasta in a creamy butter sauce. YU-UH-UHM! We returned home for another gift exchange and coffee; All in all, the first half of Christmas turned out just right.
Then there's Christmas with the family. My cousin Karina and her husband Luke arrived with their little girl, Eliana, early Friday. I haven't seen her for what seems maybe 10 years or so and I can't begin to tell you how nice it's been since she arrived. I've had the opportunity to spend some valuable time and conversation with her, even with her hubby. Luke is a cool guy... Loco, but cool! Karina's folks, my Tia and Tio, arrived on the 24th and it was good to see them too. Noche Buena was spent in good spirits, the Panamanian tamales that my mom and Gigi made were the bomb-diggity, yo. Abuelita seemed to get kind of wound up over all the attention that was going somewhere other than to her. Karina's little year old girl would rarely show her grumpy side whenever things weren't going her way either. The similarities between the eldest and the youngest were eye opening. Jealousy is ugly and God doesn't like ugly. Me Oyes?
Last night we went McGuire's for dinner, Ingrid and I purchased gift cards for all of the out-of-towners and I'm so pleased to hear that all of the really enjoyed the event. The night ended a little oddly when the guitarist performing in the pub sang a song Mom immediately associated with Dad. She barely made it through the first few verses and she was ready to call it a night; Luckily the desserts had already been finished and we were ready to head out anyways. The evening wasn't complete with it's touch of drama. Once again, Jealousy rears it's ugly head in a familiar form. There are tons of people in the house and quit being so pissy over not getting any attention. You're grown dammit... reference my earlier comment on "God" and "ugly."
Tia and Tio are flying out to NC today for business; They'll be back by the 30th. Karina and Luke will hang out with us until the 1st which is fine by me. The more company for my Mom, the easier it will be for her to get through the Holidays. I'll be flying out to Virginia for work as soon as the New Year rings in. The Spanish Team in Sterling needs to undergo some soft-skills training for about 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to visiting that part of the United States again; I was very impressed with it when I was there the first time. Christmas was good, not great, but good and I think I'm ok with "good."
No comments:
Post a Comment