So I'm finally in Florida. When I left to Virginia, I was quite torn because there were personal reasons why I should have stayed back. Instead, I decided to address the business needs before my own and simply wait it out until my trip was done. As my previous entry hints, I was ready to drop in, do my thing and launch back home as soon as possible. But something strange happened while I was there... I enjoyed myself. I was there for roughly a week and a half and my primary purpose was to facilitate a series of soft-skill courses for the Spanish-speaking Service Agents. (We were recognized by J.D. Power And Associates for our call center customer satisfaction excellence last year, an honor we are dedicated to maintaining this year as.) I was well received by the local Training & Development Team, the Assistant Manager of Operations and several other members of the Virginia Group. As I began conducting the sessions the participants were receptive and participative, a pattern that continued through each group I encountered. How nice was that?! There are certain things that make me love my job that much more and working with groups like these is one of them. I was fortunate enough to make some good first impressions and, possibly, friends. Take Jackie for example: She’s a Customer Surveyor, about 4'3'' of “freak” and I really enjoyed our daily get-togethers. There’s also the supervisor crew, which consists of 4 very dedicated, very nice people. They worked so well together and seeing that kind of rapport made me miss my training team. Of course, I didn't hesitate to share my observations with them; it’s always impressive to see a cohesive group perform like a well-oiled machine. If you see something good then take the time to commend it. That just might be the fuel needed to perpetuate the behavior. My evenings were often spent in the company of the locals. The dining choices were new and quite entertaining: The Pacific Café wowed me with the calamari in wasabi aioli sauce and the Hawaiian-touched entree of chicken and shrimp sautéed with bell peppers and pineapples. Ned Devine's had the best Guinness Beef Stew, only to be topped by their Devine Filet, which was broiled in a red wine demiglaze sauce. Over the weekend, I managed to meet up with my brother, Kenneth. Though he lives in North Carolina, his job has kept him in Falls Church, Virginia, for awhile now. He took me to a local haunt called The Rio Grande Restaurant and I really enjoyed the food; Spending time with him and meeting his close friends was a real treat. Lodie, a crane operator like my brother, has known Ken for quite a few years now and has proven to be a great friend. She's really cool and can handle her margaritas better than I ever could. Katherine is Lodie’s wife and she’s in the Coast Guard, she'll be retiring in about 4 months and I really like her because she seems to be the more laid back of the two. I had a blast with both of them and I'm so grateful that Kenneth has people that care for him that are within close range. They both genuinely watch out for his well-being and for that, these two women mean more to me than they think. I hope that they continue to be a blessing in his life and that he continues to be the same for them. Anyways… we talked about all the attention I've been getting at work while I'm visiting and he tosses out a kind "Well if they want you that bad and you decide to move up here then you're more than welcome to move in with me. I can use a roommate." Hmmmm... Interesting offer. A significant amount of things would need to change before I considered it, like salary. The cost of living in Sterling, Virginia is considerably more than it is in Crestview, Florida. I’ve seen the salary comparisons in the region and it’s amazing how non-competitive our wages are. I’m currently earning a little more than half of the estimated average; below average is never good, not by my standards. I’m hearing some whispers about some positive changes in the wings so I’m biding my time and giving my all. With my yearly evaluations already around the corner, it’s a smart strategy to begin contributing further as a means to strengthen my appraisal.
Friday, January 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment