Monday, July 11, 2005

On Hurricanes: Episode III, Attack Of The cyClones

There it was... a looming Category 4 Storm that fizzled and disappointed me just as much as that God-forsaken excuse of a Star Wars Movie. I'm grateful that it wasn't as devastating as the experts claimed it had potential for. All is well with our property with the exception of some leaking through the roof. So early today we called some friendly folks from the mother's church and they came over, inspected the damage and then patched up everything... free of charge! Hallelujah! On that holy note... let me take a stance here against some apocalyptical claim I heard today: No, Dennis was NOT named by God because the residents of northwest Florida and lower Alabama have "sinned." (Some end-days zealot with way too much time on her hands realized what "Dennis" meant when spelled backwards.)

My friends faired fairly well, also. There was some additional structural damage and a loss of the commodities that power and light provides, but their homes are still standing and are still inhabitable. Thank God. I'll be going into work tomorrow morning to finish off my current class' work and start their final exams. If time permits me, I might take some time off work. I'm going to devote the rest of this week do what I need to do to be more prepared for this kind of stuff. Considering how long I've lived in Florida, shame on me for not having pre-cut plywood boards for each window... shame on me for not having sufficient back-up water gallons... shame on me for not having a radio that might be worth a damn when I lose power... shame, shame, shame.
Ok, that enough self-flogging for one evening. I need a cigarette now.

No comments: