First of all, let me clarify that our department is split into two branches: Trainers and Developers. The first branch, of which I belong to, is responsible for delivering the training material, measuring the progress of each student and providing feedback to the developers so that the material is current to the business. Developers are responsible for designing the curriculum and interacting directly with the clients that we represent so that their interests are being met. Each branch has a Senior Manager that runs her respective team and they, in turn, report to the Director of Training & Development. Ok, with that dissected outline out of the way, let me tell you what's freaking me out:
A little over a week ago, the Director of the Training and Development resigned from the company in order to "pursue other professional opportunities." (The reason was diplomatically given in a company-wide message intended to prepare us for the organizational change.) The man spent several weeks away from work prior to his resignation, obviously meant to use up all of his vacation hours. So now our department is without a Director. Until a replacement is found, (or a new structure is developed) we will be reporting to the VP of Human Resources. Joy. Suckage score, with 10 being the suckiest of sucks, 5 out of 10.
So now I find out that our Senior Training Manager, the corporate head that my Manager reports to, has been taking several weeks worth of vacation. Could she be one foot out of the door as well? Mind you, no big loss there; I would probably breath a little easier knowing that she wasn't in the mix anymore and I'm fairly confident that I'm not the only person that would enjoy the easy breathing. But I digress… So she's been taking a lot of time off. Is she next to hit the proverbial road towards "other professional opportunities?" If so then we're looking at a Suckage score of 1 out of 10.
Let me add to the paranoia… I found out yesterday that one of the designers is bailing out of corporate because he found, you guessed it, "other professional opportunities." Now I'm kind a pissed over this one because that designer is one hell of a professional and is that rare breed of person able to mingle business and fun effectively. I'm going to miss working with him. Suckage score? 7 out of 10.
So what happens today? We get a company wide e-mail from the Senior Vice President of Operations telling us that one of the heads of another crucial department will be leaving our company's workforce. Why? Blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda "other professional opportunities." (It's like I can read these things without even looking at them now.) No replacement has been named, instead another department head will be taking on those responsibilities. Suckage score? 4 out of 10.
So that leaves me to wonder what kind of overhaul is happening in corporate. At first it seemed like our department is being impacted the most. What can I look forward to? Web-forums were I'm instructing students via an online classroom environment? I'm prepared for the change and I'm ready to move in that direction if that's where we're going. It seems like the corporate office is getting a little more hollow every day and I'm curious to know what that's going to bring me.
1 comment:
You're a towel.
Post a Comment