The scariest day of the year started out at about 4:00am for me. Two hours into it, I was walking across the parking lot from my hotel room to the corporate office building. I’m in VA for a month, teaching a cluster of Spanish-speakers how to use new systems… with a classroom full of Latin folk you think everyday would be scary but it’s far from it. They’ve been so receptive and warm that, once again, working here permanently is tempting; I feel this way every time I’m here and it disappears just as quickly as I leave. Anyways, I digress. Halloween.
So the corporate office is famed for throwing some huge festivities during Halloween; I’ve seen pictures of the “haunted floor” that was an apparent tradition. The floor is open to the public (employees, friends, family & such) while each department goes all out to cover a certain square footage to spook up and haunt. As luck would have it, this year they decided to have a "Fall Festival" instead, catering to the children in an open air celebration with games, moonwalks and such. Joy. I end up working 3 hours longer than I expected because new curriculum was added that I needed to launch (3 extra hours wouldn't have been much of an issue had my work-day not already been scheduled to last 10 hours.) So, defeated, I finally drag myself back to my room to retire for the evening. No need for a pumpkin pail's worth of candy because it's hardly common practice to trick or treat at the Marriot (You'd probably get crappy treats like travel-sized shampoo, tiny soap bars and fresh towels anyways.) I hop in my rental in search of a decent restaurant when suddenly I see it... the movie marquee boldly advertising a showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
So the corporate office is famed for throwing some huge festivities during Halloween; I’ve seen pictures of the “haunted floor” that was an apparent tradition. The floor is open to the public (employees, friends, family & such) while each department goes all out to cover a certain square footage to spook up and haunt. As luck would have it, this year they decided to have a "Fall Festival" instead, catering to the children in an open air celebration with games, moonwalks and such. Joy. I end up working 3 hours longer than I expected because new curriculum was added that I needed to launch (3 extra hours wouldn't have been much of an issue had my work-day not already been scheduled to last 10 hours.) So, defeated, I finally drag myself back to my room to retire for the evening. No need for a pumpkin pail's worth of candy because it's hardly common practice to trick or treat at the Marriot (You'd probably get crappy treats like travel-sized shampoo, tiny soap bars and fresh towels anyways.) I hop in my rental in search of a decent restaurant when suddenly I see it... the movie marquee boldly advertising a showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
I just about peed a little at the thought of spending Halloween night amongst the freaks of a late night, double feature, picture show. I strapped myself in for the ride and yelled my favorite additions to the screen and to the performers under the silver screen. It's nice to see how kind freaks can be, we're a fickle lot sometimes because occasionally you run into the reverse elitest that doesn't consider you "freaky enough" to consort with. This was a nice exception; A hispanic Magenta offered me a handful of rice and some toast. Another movie-goer (By far the skinniest Eddie I've ever seen) shared a handful a playing cards for me to toss into the air just before Frankenfurter sings "I'm Going Home." It was apparent that though I might not have shown up prepared with my props, I wasn't a virgin to audience participation. Maybe that's why it was easier for my neighbors to share their props. Afterwards, I finally called it a night grateful that Frankie landed and saved my Halloween.
No comments:
Post a Comment